Monday, August 9, 2010

It's About Hymn!

"Today's modern worship songs are just all about 'me, me, me' instead of being about 'him, him him'. We need to go back to the hymns". We've probably all heard an argument like that. Followed by the rebuttle, "Hymns are outdated, we need to keep up with the changing culture, and stay relevent". The argument would continue, neither giving up ground or gaining ground. Both would leave frustrated, feeling that the "other generation just doesn't get it". Sound familiar? I wish I could write a blog that would settle the debate once and for all. I wish that I could come up with the pros and cons of both, compare and say "The church needs to do this...". Unfortunately, I can't do that. I'm not writing this blog to settle the debate. I'm not going to preach about the reedeming qualites of one or the other. What I do want to get at is this...when we focus on what we want. When we are only thinking about "I can't believe we are singing another hymn", or "Why are we singing this new song for the hundredth time", we lose focus on what is important. Worship...whether it be hymns, modern worship songs, or even dance, preaching, art, drama...whatever the form of worship may be (I am focusing on the music aspect here, but worship is SOOO much bigger than that), the focus needs to be on Him. On God. Creator. Master. Father. As soon as we begin to focus on our preference, on our desires, on our wants and needs, then we have lost it. We have moved from worship of God into idolatry (as we begin worshiping ourselves, or the music).
To be honest, I enjoy both hymns and the new worship chorus'. I think they are both meaningful, and serve an excellent purpose. I heard a comedian a while ago (I can't say his joke word for word...but you'll get the gist of it), who was talking about hymns. He said, "I used to love hymns...singing them in church. They sounded great. And then I realized that the underlying message in all of them is, 'God is good, and we are [crap]'". As funny (or unfunny, depending on personal taste), as that is...it has an element of truth to it. Yes, there are exceptions, but at the heart of most hymns is the idea that "We are crap...we are worthless without Christ". Which is a great message, I don't want to refute that. But does it really evoke any confidence in the human race? Does it give us self-esteem..make us feel valuable? Not really. Today's worship songs do have elements of that as well, but they focus instead on the love of God, on the amazing splendor of God's creation. And of our desire to be close to God and build that relationship with him. Yes, modern worship songs do tend to seem to be about "self" and "us"...but at it's heart, it is our cry for us to be close to God. Our plea for help. David did this in the Psalms all the time:
"Hasten, Oh God to save me; O Lord, come quickly to help me" -Psalm 70:1
"Keep me safe O God for in you I take refuge"- Psalm 16:1
"Do not withold your mercy from me, O Lord" -Psalm 40:11

Do these not sound selfish? Is this not the type of thing that modern worship songs ask for? Yes David also spends a lot of time writing things that sound similar to the hymns too...but the point is, David (the original song-leader), wrote Psalms and songs from every perspective. He even has many angry, lamenting songs. We never seem to get frustrated at David for these, we just say that "it's what was in his heart...how beautiful". Why can't we do the same for the songs we sing in church...whether they be hymns, or chorus'? Every song that we sing has a story behind it. Unfortunately, we usually only know the stories behind the great hymns, which then evoke more emotion into them. But even the simplest worship song has a great story behind it. Let's not forget that. The point once again, however, is to not focus on what we want. To not just see the lack of hymns, or the lack of worship songs, or the volume of the drums, or the speed, tone or key that the songs are sung in. Let's just gather together and worship. One form is not better than another. One Psalm is not greater than another..perhaps we have our favourites, but all were written with just as much heart, just as much puprose, and just as much worship (yes...even the laments, and curses. David was worshipping God in his frustration, he was legitimately telling God how he felt. Honesty. A huge part of worship). Let's focus on Him, and not on Hymns. Let's worship God, and not worship songs. Let's bask in God's glory, realize that God is great, and we are faulty, and yet also see God's love, and our beauty. Don't lose sight of the purpose. Like a football player focuses on the endzone, a track star keeps his eye on the finish line, and a hockey player keeps his sights on the goal...let's keep our eyes on God, our minds on his majesty and our gaze on his beauty. That is what worship is truly about. Who cares if we sing a song that I don't like, or if the band is out of key. Let's just worship, serve, and praise the one who created us, who loves us, and is AWEsome.

1 comment:

Calvin said...

Keith, I entirely agree with you. I used to be one of those people who loathed contemporary worship music, and thought hymns were the be all and end all of worship music. Fortunately, I came to realize just how very much it was a matter of preference. Now, I attend a church that primarily sings contemporary music, and while I would love to see more hymns, I am okay with only having one on occasion.