Sunday, December 12, 2010

O Me Of Little Faith

Many of you may not know this, but 2 weeks ago I got a job at the Christian Bookstore in Abbotsford. It's been an amazing experience so far, although I am right now hoping that it won't only be a seasonal job but will instead become a full time thing. Anyway, that's not really the point of this blog...just an update. While on my break at House of James, I have been reading a book that was kept in the staff room called "O Me of Little Faith" by an author named Jason Boyett. I can honestly say that I have never read a book like this. It is refreshing, it is honest and it is funny. Like, laugh out loud funny (and I don't mean that in the lame 'lol' texting/facebook way). But the main thing that is getting me about the book...is how I can relate to almost everything in it. Usually when I read a book, there are a few things that I love, many things that I like and one or two things that I hate and despise...so far, this book has been exactly what I needed to hear (now, I'm not done the book yet, so there may be something coming up that I won't like...but we'll have to see about that). Anyway, so far, here are a 3 of the main points that Boyett makes, that I think are excellent (even though they do push against the Christian norm).
1) People give God too much credit. Now before you rebel against me, and burn every copy of Boyett's books, note that those words are my words and not his. Secondly...let me explain. Boyett talks about people who thank God for a parking space, for sound and video equipment working, for finding a job, for weather...you know the type of thing I'm talking about. What he says is that, he's a logical person. If the sound and video equipment works...it's because the people who made the equipment did a good job. Did God have a hand in it? possibly...but does he deserve ALL the credit for that instance? likely not. Now, this isn't to say that we should never say "Thank God", or pray a prayer of blessing before we eat, or recognize the hand of God in everyday occurances...but I think it's safe to say that God doesn't need to be recognized for everything. First of all, because many things are just natural occurances, or coincidences, and secondly...even if he is involved in all the mundane details of our life, he is big enough and mature enough to not need the credit for everything. He's not that much of an egotist that everything has to be credited to him.
2) Arguing doesn't convert people. I knw there have been many times in my life when I get into a heated argument with someone who believes something different than me, and when the argument is over we are both just frustrated and don't believe anything new. Why do we have this incessant need to always be right? Why do we always have to speak up when something is said that we slightly disagree with? And more importantly, even if what we believe IS right and everyone else is wrong, we still have to treat them with love and respect. The moment we argue with others, we draw a line that says "you are over there, and I am over here. I am right, you are wrong. You have to agree with me". Do you ever notice that when the pharisees wanted to make Jesus look bad, they tried to get into an argument with him? Jesus never went for the bait. Instead, he showed love, respect and had very creative responses to their difficult questions and traps. From what I gather from the Bible, Jesus didn't get into arguments (at least not in an attempt to convert someone). Arguing is ok..there is nothing wrong with a heated argument every once in a while...but arguing doesn't make people believe in God.
3) The Sinner's Prayer is not Biblical. This one will probably cause the most controversy, as it is something we all grew up with. But it's true...where in the Bible does Jesus say, "I am the way, the truth and the life...anyone who wants to see the father must pray a certain prayere with certain words, asking me to come into their hearts and forgive them of all sins". The main problem I have with the sinner's prayer, is that it becomes the end. People pray it, and then move on with their lives...knowing that "Well, I'm good now, God will forgive me and I'm going to heaven. I can do what I want". Perhaps not everyone is like that, but it at least opens that door of possibility. I appreciate that the Sinner's Prayer can be a starting point. A beginning of a journey, it's too bad that it is often portrayed as the destination rather then the starting line. Jesus calls people to be like him, to follow his example, to have faith like a child, to love Him and love others, to put others first, to turn the other cheek, to forgive the unforgivable...he never says that to follow him you must walk down the long aisle to the altar and pray one particular prayer

That are the three main points of the book (as I gather them anyway...there are other great points and comments in the book) so far. Perhaps when I finish the book I will do a final blog summarizing everything. I hope that this blog encourages you to read the book (it's fascinating...really), and more importantly, I hope it helps you to realize that you don't have to believe everything that everyone else does. You can push the envelope a little bit, have a few doubts. Doubts are a good thing. Without Doubts, we don't ask questions. Without Questions, we don't have any answers. Without Answers, we won't learn anything. Blessings guys...and an early Merry Christmas to you all!

No comments: