Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"B" Atitudes and the Mountain Sermon

Hey All,
That is, if there is still anyone out there reading this. I have to admit, I have been really poor at keeping this up lately. For some reason I haven't had a lot of motivation to do this. Anyway, after a long wait, I am back and writing a new post.
So, as you all should know, I am in Abbotsford BC, working as an intern Youth Pastor at Level Ground Mennonite Church. That's an interesting name for a church eh? I have to admit, at first I found it kind of cheesy, but the more I think about it, and talk about it, it is exactly what a church should be. A place where people can come and feel on the same playing field as anyone else. The church has a huge impact on the Rehab community, which is awesome, and it is super great that those recovering from addictions can come to church, and instead of feeling like sinners and "less than holy", they can feel accepted and forgiven. I have loved attending this church, and hopefully can live out this thought of, "The ground is level at the foot of the cross". I need to be an accepting person, and treat everyone with love, whether they are friends, enemies, easy to get along with, obnoxious, perfect Christians or struggling sinners.
With that in mind, part of my work as intern is to lead Senior Youth Cell nights every second week or so. This week, as in Wednesday March 4, I will be talking about the Beatitudes. Looking over them countless times, it is really crazy what is all in there. As Christians, we are called to live a life that is much tougher and bigger than we could possibly imagine. It would be impossible to live the life we are called to on our own. The Sermon on the Mount is impossible. No one can live that out. And the truth is, I don't think God expects us to. Now, don't get me wrong, we expects us to try, and do our best to live as Christ would live, but he understands that we are human, and he knows that we will make mistakes. The Sermon on the mount is a Sermon about the ideal. "If you were perfect, this is what you would do, but your not perfect, and I understand that, so do your best, but when you fail I will be there to accept, forgive and life you up". What a beautiful thought. When you read the Sermon on the Mount, and the Beatitudes from a persepective of "This is what you must do", it is really daunting and discouraging, but when it is read from an ideal perspective, and from a perspective of "one day, when you reach the Kingdom of God, this is what life will be like" it takes on a completely different feel. Now, I know this may be a stretch for some of you, and I accept challenges and arguments for why the Sermon on the Mount is not an ideal, and I have to admit, I haven't compeltely grasped it myself, so please, comment and tell me what you think, whether you agree, disagree, or aren't sure either.
So, with that out of the way, I guess I just want to say sorry for not updating more often, and I hope I will be able to keep this up. I promise, I will start to add movies and pictures soon. Abbotsford is treating me well, and the church is phenomenal. Kristi and I are doing great, and everything is going well. God Bless you all, whoever is out there.

No comments: