Thursday, July 1, 2010

Over-Analyze This

Today, I'm gonna share a little bit about one of my spiritual pet peeves. One thing that really bothers me is Christians who misinterpret Scripture. I mean this in a variety of ways, either they take something out of context, or they over analyze a verse/section/paragraph whatever to the point where it has so many meanings, it loses its original meaning. Or, they try too hard to apply something to a modern setting and make it relevant, that it's true purpose and meaning is lost.
Now, don't get me wrong. Interpreting and applying scripture to a modern context is very important. Unfortunately, not enough people do it properly. I'm not saying that I am a pro at this, in fact I am probably just as bad as anyone else, but its something we need to be careful of.
There are a few things in scripture that allow us to interpet them in numerous ways, the parables are one example. When Jesus spoke these stories, they were meant to be interpreted in various ways. The story of the Prodigal Son can be interpreted from different perspectives, and can mean different things to different people in different cirumstances. What I have a problem with, is people taking a passage like "When 2 or more are gathered, there am I with them", and interpret it to mean "When 2 or more people pray, God will answer our prays the way we want them to!". Another major issue with this, is people who try to use Scripture to justify their actions. For example, wars, genocides, the holocaust, slavery, crusades...all were "justified" by Scripture. People thought, and still think "Well, God wiped out numerous nations...so its ok for us", or "People in the bible had slaves, so it must be acceptable for us too". A more recent and relevant point is homosexuality. I recently had a facebook argument on a friends status with many people that I didnt even know about homosexuality. The status read something like "Homosexuality isn't a sin. Calling a homosexual a sinner is." I responded to that with something along the lines of "I think judging is wrong, but at the same time I do believe that homosexuality is wrong.". My response was longer than that, but that was the gist of it. Anyway, the responses were hateful and brutal. I was called a homophobe, judgemental, and numerous other names. Anyway, after discussion and argument, their main points for justifying homosexuality was 1) There was no word for "homosexuality" in Biblical times, and 2) When the act of homosexuality is mentioned in the bible, it is used in reference to temple prostitution. They were justifying their actions, trying to find a way to interpret something that the Bible is quite clear about, and making it read something that allows them to be right.
Christians...this needs to stop. We need to learn to interpret Scripture properly. It's ok to take some things at face value sometimes. And trying to add relevance to something that doesn't need it is ridiculous, and is poisoning how we read and understand Scripture. When you begin to see Jesus as a metaphor, instead of just the Son of God, you have gone too far. Now, I wish I had a surefire way to make sure that we dont misinterpret Scripture..but I don't. I do have some tips though:
The most important thing is context. Keep scripture in its proper context. Don't take a verse out of its original context and make it mean something else. Look at what the author was trying to say...and if your conclusion goes against that, you have misinterpreted it.
Try to go at interpretation from an unbiased perspective. When you have an agenda, you will (either deliberately or subconsciously) interpret Scripture to go along with the beliefs you already have.
Pray. Have a great relationship with God, talk with him constantly and have him help you understand what Scripture is trying to say.
If it doesn't need to be understood at a deeper level, then don't add deeper meaning to it. Now, this doesn't mean that the Bible doesn't contain things that at first glance seem unimportant or just added detail, but are actually very vital...but there are things that we add meaning to, and deeper levels to that never were intended to be understood in that way.

I honestly believe that if the authors of the books saw how we were interpreting their words, they would be mortified. When Husbands abuse their wives and claim that the Bible says its ok because "Wives are to submit to their husbands", or when modern day prophets predict the day that Jesus will return, based on "clues" in Scripture, we take things FAR too far, and pervert what the Bible is trying to say. The Bible is the word of God. Yes, it was written by man, but it was inspired by and designed by God. It's not just a book of fairy tales, good advice or fables. Yes, there are great stories, myths and advice within its pages...but when you see Scripture as only those things you grossly miss the point.
I realize I have kinda gone on a few rabbit trails here. I hope that my main point is clear, and that I won't be misinterpreted or taken out of context. What do you guys think? Do you think that this is a major issue in Christianity today, or am I just seeing an issue when there isn't really an issue?

No comments: